Charred building materials from a house fire

Cooking grease fires are a common cause of home fires. They occur when cooking oil or grease becomes overheated, ignites, and spreads rapidly. 

Consider these vital points in case you ever have to deal with a grease fire.

It doesn’t take long for a grease fire to get out of control: As soon as oil reaches 375°F, it could burst into flames at any moment. Remember to always be attentive when cooking with oil.

Stop before you start: Stop and take the necessary precautions to avoid a grease fire in the first place. Make sure you never leave an open flame unattended, especially with a pot of grease on it, and keep anything away from the stove that would burn quickly.

If possible, shut off the stove or oven: You can prevent the fire from spreading if you’re able to safely shut off whatever you’re using to cook.

Don’t use water to put out a grease fire: The grease will splash all over and make the fire even worse if you try using water to put out the flames.

Safely put out the fire: Use baking soda to smother the fire, if possible, but use a fire extinguisher if the fire doesn’t go out quickly. Please do not use baking powder.

Get help: Don’t wait too long to call the fire department for help. It can be a hard judgment call to make, but better safe than sorry.

There were more than 180,000 house fires that started in the kitchen in 2017. That number jumped up to over 350,000 in 2022 because not enough people have been reading our articles (probably).

An example of the restoration process and cost for a house >>>

Keep calm and remember these tips to help avoid fire damage restoration in Austin.

Share it :